Cut-Off Bar Attachment & Floating Rim

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:25:11 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 19, 2002 1:04 PM
Subject: Cut-Off Bar Attachment & Floating Rim

> Should a cut-off bar (also called a dumb bar, I think) be attached to =
the backpost?=20

I truly dislike the label 'dumb bar' attached to these things. Frankly I =
think it is rather 'dumb' (or at least ignorant) to not use an adequate =
soundboard cutoff bar in any vertical or grand piano design.

>I have one that has one end on top of middle-fo-the-piano backpost and =
the other end at the side/edge post. It crosses over another backpost. =
It is not attached at all - although you could only slip a piece of =
paper in between them. I should think this a possible source for a buzz. =
But more importantly, I should think it advantageous to attach the =
cut-off bar as securely as is possible, and anywhere possible. Is there =
any reason to have it floating next to an available backpost?

  This may have been a design-around solution to avoid a direct conflict =
with some patent claim. When researching prior art for my own soundboard =
patent I encountered several that claimed specifically attaching support =
bars of various sorts to back posts.

  Assuming it's in the right place--most were not but anything is better =
than nothing--glue the sucker down. The patents expired about a hundred =
years ago. Even in today's society you'll not have to worry about =
lawsuits.

>=20
> Also, at the treble end of this upright I am working on (same M&H as =
my other recent posts), the maple rim floats between two backposts at =
the extreme treble. One could epoxy in a big hunk of hard wood and =
effectively bond the rim to the pinblock and to the backposts. I thought =
it was critical to have the most secure rim possible in this area. The =
rim is approximately 1" x 2" in this area. Wouldn't it be a good idea to =
beef this up?

  It depends. I'd want to see pictures before commenting.

  Del