ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:33:15 -0700

>Shouldn't there be somewhere a "living museum" tuner, who
>never used the ETD, and therefore never was changed by
>its particular biases and requirements?
>
>And I volunteer!
>
>Susan

I volunteer as well, and I guess it's time to step up to the plate:  I
think I can tune a piano so that it sounds measurably better than any
straight machine tuning---even Jim Coleman's, or Rich Davenport's, or
anyone else.  I'd love to have a chance to prove that to some of you
lovely folks.
My method is so dead simple; I spoke about it some months back, but I'll
reiterate it---if ALL the fourths on the piano beat the same sweet, slow
roll---around 1bps depending on the piano---you'll get the best ET tuning
you have ever heard, with "perfect" contiguous thirds and "beatless"
triple, quadruple, and even quintuple octaves; with completely pleasing
and balanced major triads all the way up, with slightly different "color"
and "emotion" in each key. You don't have to worry about partial
matching, or listening to 3rds, 10ths, or 17ths---you just follow the
fourths.  It seems to magically deal with and compensate for
inharmonicity.

How does it work?  I have no idea. I'm the farthest thing from a
propellerhead you've ever seen.
I just know that it blows even jaded pro pianists away 100% of the time.

I'd be more than happy to demonstrate this protocol to any interested
party, either here in LA, at the next
California state convention, or at the national convention this summer.
Email me privately to talk about it.

The ear is what is ultimately our greatest gift, and our craft IS music.
I never want to forget that, in the stress of running a business and
providing for my family.

David Andersen