key dip, dip in.....

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:19:55 -0700

You don't get more aftertouch just because the capstan is screwed up higher,
you get more because the hammer is closer to the string and doesn't have to
travel as far to get to let-off.  If you have different string heights, same
bore distance, different shank heights (to keep blow the same) then the
aftertouch will not vary as the blow distances are uniform.

I made the comment about bass/treble bore being the same based on your
remark about it.  Obviously if the shanks are the same height, the bore
distances will vary (assuming its an overstrung bass).  I'm not sure what
you are talking about now.  If the bass string heights are 1/4" higher than
treble, then the bore will be 1/4" greater for the bass, the shanks will be
on the same plane.  If you bore the bass and treble the same (I have no idea
why you would) then the bass shanks will be higher off the rest cushion.  I
thought that was what you were talking about.

With the hammers closer to the rest cushion the hammer doesn't rebound as
far below it's rest position and the jack can get under the knuckle sooner,
thus better repetition.

The only time I can see where it makes sense to not bore the hammers at
string height - hammer flange center pin height, is if that distance creates
a problem for the hammers getting under the pin block when you push the
action in or out.  I've seen this on some old Bechsteins recently.  Measured
bore distance would have been 2 3/16 for some sections in the treble.  1
15/16 was the maximum I could bore and not have a clearance problem.  So I
bored the set at 1 15/16 and adjusted the hammer/shank angle so that the
hammer would be at 90 degrees to the string on impact.  Since each section
had a different string height, I had different angles on each section,
different hammer lines and different shank heights off the rest rail.
Because the blow distances were equal, there was no noticeable difference in
the way each section regulated.  That also seems to be the way the piano was
set up originally.

David Love