Hang'n dem Hamers

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:25:20 -0700

Terry:

I've used a couple of boring jigs and the one I like the best is the Renner
jig.  It's not cheap, but it does a very nice job.

As far as hanging hammers, I've also used several jigs including Spurlock
and Jaras.  The best, and easiest, method I've found is to get a board 18" x
6" x 1/2".  Near to one side glue a piece of one of those Renner shank
dividers to be used to line up the inside of the hammer tails.  Put a sheet
of felt over the whippens and set the board resting on top.  Set the stack
so you are hanging the hammers from the back instead of the front.  You will
be able to see more easily that they are straight up and down and how the
inside of the tails set against the guide that you've glued to the board.
Set the end hammers of each section and use a straightedge to line up the
shoulders of the hammers as you go.   The 18" length will allow enough room
to lay up the entire tenor section.  On a Steinway you will have to cut a
small slot in the middle and on the underside of the board to accommodate
the center rail support.  This method goes very fast and it is easy to see
just what you are doing.  It's not fancy, but it works.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 21, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: Hang'n dem Hamers

Oops, I guess my ignorance is showing. I have never bored/hung hammers - the
few sets I have installed, I have had Wally Brooks do it. I do have, and
have used with great success, the Spurlock upright hammer hanging jig. I
guess I was picturing one jig for it all, but of course, now that you
mention it, indeed, it would be two jigs.

Let me restate then. What is the most effective grand hammer boring jig
(doesn't both Renner and Spurlock make a boring jig?) and what is the best
grand hammer hanging jig?

Thanks for any input - and for clearing up the aforementioned item!

Terry Farrell