S&S "S" Treble wire

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:31:30 -0700

Dear Friends:

            I am having a dilemma with a Steinway S in the highest 2
treble strings.  I can=92t seem to get them to pitch without breaking.
I=92ve tried using emery cloth to smooth out the V bar.  No luck.  =
I=92ve
lost count of how many times I=92ve tried different strings.  I=92m
beginning to suspect the length of the strings in the speaking area is
too long.  I=92ve measured the bridge pin to V bar on the B7note to be
very near 2 =BD =93.  Is this usual?  Other Steinways have lengths of 2 =
=BC=94
or less for the same note.  In our store, we have just this one =93S=94.
It=92s about 15 years old.  Would it be advisable to go to a 12 =BD =
gauge
string instead of the 13 which is labeled on the plate?  It seems that
the breaking strength of the wire is too close to the tension necessary
to get the note to pitch.  Help!

            Thanks=20

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego