let-off

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:58:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/02 10:17:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
John5828@austin.rr.com writes:

> In setting let-off in heavily played pianos, is it beneficial to set let-off
> a little further away from the string than normal to reduce hammer wear?
> I've got a couple of new Yamaha C2's in dance studio environments and I
> want
> the hammers to last a long time.  (In fact, I've had let-off set just
> slightly low and my plan seems to be working.)
>
> thanks,
> G. Voltaggio

To answer your question directly, yes, a little more let off will reduce
hammer wear. But it will also cause strings to break. So it's up to you which
you want to do, replace strings, or shape hammers.

But why do you want to "save" the hammers on these two pianos? Are they
yours, or do they belong to the dance school? In either case, heavy use
causes hammers to wear out. That's called "normal wear and tear" for a dance
studio piano. Increasing let off might save a few months, but eventually they
have to be replaced. In the mean time, you might be replacing a bunch of
strings.

Personally, I would leave the let off where it is, and inform the customer to
start saving up for those new hammers.

Wim