Spring behaviour

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:54:04 EDT

Oleg;
 You have gotten some good comments and thoughts on this thread........my
take is:

"paste" type lubricants are used on new reps simply because it takes only one
swipe of the application tool to make sure that there is some lubricant in
the slot, or "grub".
 Since only a single movement is needed, using a "paste" type lubricant is
the most efficient manufacturing choice..........That does not mean that
"paste" is the best choice of lubricant....IMO.

 When regulating an action one of the first things I do is clean out the
spring grooves and clean off the springs themselves ( a little alcohol rag
makes this a quick job). After I get the grooves clean I will apply some
graphite, ala #1, or #2, lead pencil, and then 'burnish' the groove with a
shaped hammer shank....the result is a loooong lasting lubrication of the
groove/grub and no worry about 'gunking' up in the future. This method works
well for me and provides a very reliable rep spring action......
Jim Bryant (FL)