Spring behavior

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:57:51 -0600

Hi Isaac,
                  The geometry of the spring will determine the direction
of force. (shape of spring). The coil determines how much force is exerted
down the arms of the springs.  It is important to lift the action and look
down the line of springs to make sure they all line up like toy soldiers,
to get consistent touch.
Jim B hit the nail on the head, clean and burnish the slots. so the sliding
friction is consistent.
A pencil lead, or spray on teflon is all that is needed for lubrication,
along with a nice clean spring tip
Any grease like material will harden with time and increase the sliding
friction dramatically.
I have lowered touch weight at much as 10gms on some of the old Steinway's
that have the graphite/wax combination in the spring slots. Cleaning also
improves the up touch weight, giving a much faster feel to the action.
Remember the force of the spring is divided.  If the jack seems slow, it's
a good bet that you have a bent pin or tight centre.
I no longer bend Jack centre pins. To centre the jack in the
mortice.  Twist the Balancier post and put on a dab of CA glue, around the
joint where it is glued to the lower arm, works for me.   The primary
reason for jacks not centered is warping of the post, and not the centre
pin as most people believe.  Start checking the alignment of the balancier
and the bottom wippen arm and you will know what I mean.

I know , too much imformation. <G>

Regards Roger