S&S "S" Treble wire

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:45:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McCloud" <pmc333@earthlink.net>
To: "'Pianotech'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 22, 2002 8:09 AM
Subject: RE: S&S "S" Treble wire

> Stephen:
> Obviously the old wire held up for all this time, which is the
> confusing thing about this.  Actually it started when our floor tuner
> broke a string.  She was having trouble installing a new string, so I
> offered to help.  I used her string, which broke.  Then I used my string
> (Roslau) to see if hers was bad.  Same thing happened.  I'm going to try
> the smaller wire as soon as I can get a hold of some.
>
> Wim: I'm using my SAT, so I know I'm on the correct note.
>
> For all the rest who responded, thanks.  I'll let you know what happens.
>
> Paul McCloud

Paul,

Obviously this is not the first Model S to have this feature. Over the years
I've received at least a dozen calls from frustrated tuners and technicians
who have encountered this model with speaking lengths in the 60 mm to 64 mm
range that are breaking strings. Of those who have contacted the factory
about the problem most reported that they were told they were stretching
their tuning too much.

The real problem is that the actual design has the speaking length overly
long coupled with, as Ron N. pointed out, a plate location that is anything
from consistent. Some will end up on the short side and work acceptably,
others will be on the long side and present problems. Using #13 wire at C-88
with a speaking length of 60 mm (2.36") the tension will be about 215# (98
kgf) which stretches the wire to approximately 75% of its breaking point. At
64 mm the tension will be approximately 245# (111 kgf) which is around 80%
to 85% of its breaking point. Either are considerably too high for comfort
or reliability.

Changing to something like #12 wire will not help. At 64 mm the tension will
be about 215# using #12 wire. This is lower to be sure, but is still well
above 80% of the breaking tension for wire of this diameter. And using large
r wire diameters will simply make matters worse.

The real question, of course, is how these pianos have managed to go so long
without breaking strings. The only logical answer is that the wire
originally used had a somewhat higher breaking point than the wire you are
using and, presumably, these pianos are played very little up there.

None of which solves your problem.

As I see it, you have two possible solutions:
    -- Try a different brand of wire. For all I hear of the highly touted
Roslau wire I have found Mapes so-called International Gold wire to be some
superior. Especially in terms of breaking strength.
    -- Recap the bridge and lay out the speaking length of C-88 at something
like 54 to 56 mm.

Using a different brand of wire will obviously be the cheaper of the two
and, as long as the owner doesn't actually plan on using those last few
notes, should work for a few more years. It worked for Steinway. The best
solution--the one that will last--is to cap the bridge and lay out a more
reasonable treble scale. It does add a bit to the cost of tuning, however.

Del