Ancient adhesive on plastic key tops

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:01:02 +0200

ReggaePass@aol.com wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> So...how can the tape and adhesive be removed without harming the keytop?
> Would a light application of acetone promptly cleaned up do it, or will the
> plastic react right away?  If solvents are not an option, what would be the
> best way to nondestructively scrape away the unwanted stuff?
>
> Thanks and praises,

I got into the habit of cycling this kind of stuff off. I use one of those
thickish razorblades for the old style razor knives. Block up the key, and with
the blade at about 80 degrees to the key top pull towards you. This more or
less "peals" of a very thin and even layer. Makes it easy to buff up by hand
afterwards. You have to have a nice fresh blade of course.

RicB