resource management

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:56:45 -0500

One of the pianos on my schedule today was described over the phone when
the appointment was made as a rebuilt Steinway. Is I was driving out,
knowing no more about it than it's being "rebuilt", I went over the mental
checklist of what I expected to find - and not find. I wasn't disappointed,
which disappointed me... again.

It's a 1905 A, two bridges. Refinished, gleaming plate, beautiful looking
shimmed soundboard, all visible hardware re-plated and dazzling. Asking for
any problems I should be aware of besides tuning, a sticking damper was
mentioned. Removing the music rack, key slip, cheek blocks and fallboard, I
got the distinct impression that the piano had been assembled while the
finish was still soft enough to stick things together. It went back
together a whole lot easier than it came apart. Setting the action aside, I
found a damper with a very tight guide bushing and a couple of split shot
clamped on the wire. The shot hadn't helped. Reaming out a half dozen guide
bushings and getting all the sluggish dampers working and adjusted again, I
went to my mental list and started checking things off. Original back
action, solid sustenuto tabs, new damper felts and refinished heads, new
Abel hammers, tapered but not tailed, and new shanks and flanges. That's it
for the action. The rest is original and noisy.

Bearing measured quite reasonable throughout, considering the concave
soundboard - over 2mm past flat even along the longest rib, as well as the
usual killer octave. Bridge looks to have been capped, then badly drilled
and notched. Nicely finished, as is the board - at least on top. New
pinblock (I think), with the tuning pin holes countersunk on the bottom
side. Odd, but neat looking. Pins tight and riding the plate.

Tone quality was just what you'd expect. Hard high distortion clang on
attack, not much evidence of lower partials, with the sustain sounding like
it was provided almost entirely by the duplex. Lots of high thin partials,
no meat.

About the only thing this piano missed from matching my expectation list
was that it didn't have 4/0 pins in the old block. They bought it from a
dealer about a year ago, which was also on my mental list. Everything that
had little to nothing to do with performance, but everything to do with
appearance, was done quite well on this piano. Virtually everything that
should have been done to make it into a performing instrument instead of a
shiny piece of useless furniture was ignored.

So now there sits a truly lousy sounding and playing piano of vastly
greater potential than was realized by the standard dealer rebuild I've
come to know and expect in this part of the world. Less than one third of
the work was done for what is typically three fourth's of the price of
doing it right, or better. The customer thought she had bought a rebuilt
piano. She didn't. The piano was raped, as was the customer, and it is now
almost a certainty that it will ever be done right, or better, because of
the money already spent. She'll probably call someone else next time who
will lie to her, since I didn't. I suppose it's just as well.

 From there, I went to a 64 note Pianola "player". A-1 to C-7 compass, 19
note (all monochords) bass, the rest bichords, 6 of them wrapped. She
wanted me to look it over and make sure everything was OK, then tune it if
it needed it. A semitone pitch raise, tuning, and back destruction (mine)
later, it was less bad and as OK as it was likely to ever get. They were
thrilled.

I'm not sure just what it is, but something just doesn't seem right...

I don't intend to answer the phone tonight. Maybe not tomorrow either, so
don't call.
Ron N