Pinblock Drilling Centering

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:42:43 -0500

>My question is how much movement of the pin due to string pulling will
>occur with a Delignit block and with a Bolduc block? My guess is that
>there will be measureable movement of a pin with the Bolduc block (but how
>much???), and somewhere between zero and negligible pin movement with the
>Delignit block. But I sure don't know for sure. What does experience say?

I have no experience with the Bolduc, but you're right on the Delignit.

>Perhaps the bottom line can be stated another way. How much, if any,
>should I favor the pianist side of the hole to end up with a centered
>tuning pin once tension is applied to strings with a Bolduc block and with
>a Delignit block?
>
>Terry Farrell

Why not just continue to use the Bulduc and drill toward the back of the
hole to insure that all of the pins will ride the plate? Nearly as I can
tell, I seem to be the only tuner on the planet who objects to that feel,
so that ought to solve all the problems at once with one simple procedural
change.

Ron N