old "elbow" plastic

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:04:39 -0700

I was told many years ago, (I forget by whom), that the possibility of
electrical ions, emitted by the D-Chaser, effected that type of plastic.
Okay, it's a stretch, but on every piano, with plastic parts, of that age,
and with a D-Chaser, (improperly installed, IMA), this was my observance.
The reality is that the catalyst that hardened the plastic, (in the mold),
continues to harden forever. IMHO, it is just a matter of time before ALL of
the plastic parts, (of that specific era), will fail. The REAL FUN ones are
those with wippen flanges, butt flanges, damper levers/flanges, backchecks
AND Jacks, made of plastic!
Replacing the flanges is not really a big deal, compared to replacing the
whole damper lever, sans head/felt. Alignment is always difficult.
These things seem to run in spurts. In the seventies I did a whole wad of
them. Then, I didn't have any to do until mid 80's. Then there was a long
period where I thought, "Well, I guess they've either been given last rites
or have been taken care of." WRONG! In the late 90's another wad of
them....."same thought".....WRONG AGAIN<G>!!!! .....2000 rolls around
another wad of them, ( I did 4 in two months!).....Gawd, Now they're rearing
their ugly head AGAIN!
How many million of those beasts were made???????? I think they're breeding
while they are being left to their own devices!!!![G]
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)