Weird tuning pin experience

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:40:52 -0500

Talked here before about the Chickering "Quarter Grand" I'm am trying to =
keep alive for a client... pinblock replacement not a reasonable, =
affordable option.

Pins are only about 20-25 in. lbs. torque.

Tunes okay, doesn't hold. Has DC installed 4 mos. ago.

Pulled pin and found it is a 3/0. Judging from the piano's history, =
strings' appearance and the pin size, I think this was restrung about 16 =
years ago by a piano store. If so, the pinblock was probably already =
showing its age then -- maybe they didn't want to jump to 4/0 for fear =
of making cracks worse.

Used #60 sandpaper shim, drove the pin partway in but stopped because it =
seemed EXTRAORDINARILY tight. Tried to back it out with tuning =
hammer--got a tuning head off that's been a permanent feature of the =
hammer for 3 years--but could not budge the pin!=20

Finally used a ratchet wrench with the tip off my torque wrench and =
removed the pin with considerable effort. Replaced it with a 2/0 =
(sandpaper still in place) and drove it in. It now has about 75 lbs of =
holding torque.

Oh what a difference 0.004" can make. (Yes, I measured the pins.)

Now ... if we want to shim other pins, do I have to get a set of 2/0's =
or look for a thinner sandpaper? Try the veneer option? Take the piano =
off life-support? Set fire to it?=20

Customer asked another funny question:"If I decide to sell it, what's it =
worth?" Well, the case is beautiful, it sounds okay (if tuned maybe 4 =
times a year, that is). I shaped the hammers and regulated the =
action--it's not perfect but plays quite nicely. Backchecks need new =
skins and regulating.

So I gave him the old "whatever the buyer is willing to pay and you are =
willing to accept" answer. But that seems like a rotten answer as it =
gives him no clue for a starting point. Well, I don't have much =
experience to help him, either.

ANYONE?

Alan Barnard
Performing CPR (Critical Piano Repairs) in Salem, MO