What's it worth?

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:40:55 -0700

Customer asked another funny question:"If I decide to sell it, what's it =
worth?" Well, the case is beautiful, it sounds okay (if tuned maybe 4 =
times a year, that is). I shaped the hammers and regulated the =
action--it's not perfect but plays quite nicely. Backchecks need new =
skins and regulating.

I just went and looked at a 1906 Kohler and Chase upright. The lady =
wanted to know what it was worth. The case had a few defects with a nice =
music desk. Needed some work but it was obvious a tech had been taking =
care of it. Bass sustain forever. I told I would give her $500 for it =
and the stool with the glass balls for feet. I felt I could get higher =
price marketing it as an original San Francisco antique and told her =
that she should advertise there. As far as I know, these could be =
considered the M&H of the west coast. For our area, I thought $500 might =
have been too generous. We'll see. It gave her a starting point.=20
Keith R