lazy RPT

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:45:41 -0700

>Hi Tom,
>
>Before calling someone lazy, you might try to find out more about the
>circumstances of the service call.  Was there a charge for adjusting
>capstans?  Was it discussed with the customer?  Did the customer even
>notice that the work was done?

>Here are appropriate reasons for adjusting capstans only in the middle and
>not on the ends.
>1.  When this is the first visit to a piano that needs so much work done
>that I run out of time.
>2.  When the piano student is a beginner and is only playing notes between
>C3 and C5.
>3.  When I am pressed for time but want to improve the piano as much as I
>can in the time allotted.
>4.  When the piano is owned by a non-player.
Please, David.  Stop the madness. All this is just speculative fantasy
and wacky rationalization.  Sivak already said it was a 5-10 minute job
to do it right.  What could possibly be a motivation besides laziness
when the work obviously needs to be done, and it's a 15-year client.
Please.  Stop defending this guy just because he's in the Guild.

>At the next tuning visit, then I would adjust the rest of the capstans
>correctly as well, depending on if there is enough time.  Call me lazy if
>you wish, but I find that I am doing work that the piano needs and the
>piano is left in better condition than when I started.
>
>Should the capstans all be adjusted correctly?  Yes.
>
>Should I charge appropriately for my time?  Yes
1/6th of your hourly rate; that shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anybody,
dude.

>Should I give the customer a good value for their money by doing extra
>work?  Yes
>
>Am I being lazy by doing extra work to improve the piano, even if I am not
>being paid for it.
Of course not.  But if you do extra work, take the time to do it right.
And don't start with the debate-club stuff of "what's 'right'?"
>  I don't think so, but I may be stupid.
What?  You'll be a good guy.  That's not stupid.  Trust the force, Luke.

>And yes, you should talk to the individual first and resolve it with them
>first before bringing it out in public.
I agree
>Respectfully,
>David Vanderhoofven
>Joplin, MO
Respectfully but forcefully, David Andersen