ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:11:24 -0700

>    Now the machine tuning might be a recording onto the SAT of
>Jim's aural tuning assisted by that SAT.  But to Dave Andersen if
>you want to visit Jim to prove your point, that you can
>demonstrate a better tuning on his piano than Jim can with his
>machine, I want to be there. Because if you do you will be the
>star (with a fat contract) in a video called, "Aural tuner beats
>SAT III"
>---ric (the "i" stands for the "i" in 'let the excuses begin')

So.  Hi, Ric.  I'd really love to do this, and have you there.  The only
possible excuse or caveat I can give is regarding my use of the word
"measurable..." what a bone-headed and ill-conceived word choice on my
part. Measurable by what, and by whom?  Although it would be fascinating
to then record my tuning in his SAT and see how it matched up.....I have
not heard a machine tuning that is as musical, singing, and spacious as
my aural tuning, and I've followed up on some really good EDT users, some
famous, at least regionally so.
All I have is my ears, and my musical sensibility.  And my incredibly
high and sometimes harsh standards of critique of my own work----believe
me when I tell you I would not have been making these statements 5 years
ago, or even 3 years ago, but I feel like I've opened a new door in my
craft the past couple of years, and it revolves around coming back to,
and really trusting, believing, and owning something I learned at the
very beginning of my career:  follow the fourths, and trust my musical
gifts, and trust my ears, and constantly strive for more perfect unisons.

Be well, out there on the cold plains.......David A.