Pinblock Drilling Centering

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:04:57 -0500

>I see so many pianos where the tuning pin rides the back end of the plate
>hole. Maybe they drilled the tuning pin hole in the block there. Or did
>the pin move after stringing?

Some of both. As I said, it doesn't seem to be much of a concern to anyone
but me. Baldwin made thousands of grands with granite blocks and pins
riding the plate. I doubt those pins got against the plates by migrating in
the granite, so...

>  Ron may be right - just let it ride. He answered my question with the
> Delignit block - expect no movement.

Well, very little. And there will be some pin flex under tension in any
case. As I said, I think the hole is too small anyway if you don't intend
for the pin to ride the plate. That's the first decision to make. If you
don't want the pin on the plate, make the hole bigger and use a denser
block than Steinway did originally. If you don't particularly care if the
pins ride the plate, just drill the block at random positions in the plate
holes like other world famous manufacturers have traditionally done in the
past.

Ron N