ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:56:30 -0700

David,

How did your long-term clients react when you started tuning their pianos with an electronic gizmo?

David I.

From: David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

There is another aspect to this debate worth mentioning.  I spent the first 20+ years  as a strictly aural tuner.  A few years ago I decided to buy an Accutuner mostly for use in institutional work where I needed to tune as many pianos as possible quickly and stress free.  More recently I purchased a Verituner.  During the period when I was tuning aurally I think I was a very competent tuner, did lots of concert work, and wasn't slow by any means.  Since going to ETD's I have found that on average, I can tune more quickly and more accurately.  Under the right circumstances, good piano, good concentration (beginning of the day) I could probably rival the speed and accuracy of my ETD tuning.  But overall, through the entire day, different kinds of pianos, different levels of concentration, I can without a doubt deliver more consistent and faster tunings with an ETD.   I'm not sure (if people are being honest) how it could be otherwise.

Since my fees are based on time, and I can complete the task more quickly, I am, in effect, earning more money.  The 5th tuning I do in a day is more likely to be of the same high quality as the 1st tuning of the day and the stress I feel from that kind of schedule is greatly diminished.  Moreover, as far as the customer is concerned, I can actually complete a few additional tasks within the same time period that I generally took for an aural tuning (which is, in fact, what I do).  Thus, the customer benefits because I can include a few items in a regular service that were more difficult before because the average time spent tuning prohibited that without either an extra charge or loss revenue.   I benefit from having done a more thorough job on the piano, the customer loves me and refers me to all their friends, and after tuning five pianos in a day, I can still come home and have a coherent conversation with my wife.

It's not only difficult to give up these benefits, the bigger question might be is it really fair to the customer to insist on tuning aurally when you could deliver just as good (perhaps better) of a tuning and more in the same amount of time and, presumably then, for the same price?

For me, the answer seems obvious.

David Love