ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:21:24 -0500

Davids,

At 08:03 10/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Some were a little surprised and concerned and I had to do a bit of
>explaining about what it was and what it did.  But no real
>problems.  There is a bias, but it works both ways.  I remember getting a
>call from someone inquiring about my services.  They asked me if I tuned
>by ear or with a device.  When I said by ear, they said thank you very
>much but I want someone who tunes with a device.  I've also had people who
>really wanted me to tune it by ear.  I tell them that I always use my ears.
>
>David Love

I would echo Mr Love's experience but, when asked [cornered?], I say that I
could it tune either way {bi-tunal?}. I explain that either way - my ear is
the final judge.

>David,
>How did your long-term clients react when you started tuning their pianos
>with an electronic gizmo?
>David I.

Since I'm a college tech, most of my "long-term" clients are scheduled
"after hours".  They know that I've already put in a full day of
piano/organ/harpsichord work.  They appreciate the fact that tuning #5 (or
6) [theirs!] will be as good as #1.  The ETD doesn't have lapses of
concentration, suffer from headcold induced hearing loss and is more
tolerant of ambient noises. They also like the slide show I have for my
screensaver... (I leave the computer on when doing checks and unisons)

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

-The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.