not free RPT

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:21:36 -0600

Hi David,

I thought the Santa Anna's (hot winds) could cause that sort of effect.

Perhaps you might phone and simply ask if the tuner was asked to merely
tune the piano and not pitch correct it? Perhaps the owner was unwilling to
pay for the technicians time and left the decision of stability vs pitch
correction to the tuner? I don't do work for free, and I believe I would
normally choose the "single pass" pitch correction in that situation--but
that is a subjective decision not a "lazy" decision. If he chose to not
work for free I congratulate him, not call him "lazy". Thats why I changed
the thread.

It's great that you enjoy tuning aurally. But if you are an aural tuner how
do you know it was 12 to 14 cents flat? And if you use a measuring device
of some kind then a 2 cent window is unacceptable--better get something
more accurate. If you do use such a device when was it last calibrated? Oh
you checked against your fork? And when did you last have your fork
calibrated? Was that at exactly 68 degrees F.? And was the barometric
pressure taken into account?

At 11:51 PM 10/23/02 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hi David,
>>
>>For what it is worth, I have seen a solid tuning change 12 cents in pitch
>>in just 3 days.
>
>Not in Southern California, my friend.  Never happen.  AND--the tuning
>was great, the unisons and octaves very good....but 12-14 cents flat.
>Nice try..... :-------)
>
>xoDA

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.