thick or thin

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:58:22 +0200

I would also check the back rail felt, if too thick that will have made =
the front of the key too low. Otherwise certainly not so many thin =
tissue type paper washers as that also produces unnecessary compression. =
I've had in the past to replace a thick card in place of lots of these.

Brian

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 4:31 PM
  Subject: thick or thin

  I am in the process of re-regualting a S&S M, where one of the main =
problems was that the keys were too low, (they were almost touching the =
front rail when depressed). I raised them all with cardboard and paper =
punchings.=20

  As I was doing this, I got thinking about this question. Are there any =
rules of thumb, or what is the general consensus, as to what thickness =
the wool balance rail punching should be? Should we have thick punchings =
with fewer paper/cardboard punchings, or thin punchings with lots of =
paper/cardboard? I guess I could ask the same for the front rail. Do we =
use thick felts and fewer cardboard, or the other way around? Or does it =
make any difference?

  Wim