Shift Problems

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:34:32 -0400

At 8:48 PM -0500 10/24/02, Avery Todd wrote:
>>How is the UC on that one set-up? Does Mr. Simon like that one's UC sound?
>
>The older one shifts fine and he seems to like it, so I think I'll
>also compare the widths of the two blocks before I check with the
>dealer's tech here.

Avery, a very interesting story. I bet the keyblock is fine and that
the bumper block (against the keyframe's bass side) never got
trimmed. At it's original rough size, it's wide enough to make a
significant cut into the shift travel. That's why the action
finishers (or fly finishers) didn't even bother installing a stop
screw.   (If you don't have time to do it right, when'ya gonna......)

Actually the width of the keyblock is a mechanical matter, which
might not be as much fun as finding out whether the sound of the
other B's UC was something which he wishes you would achieve in the
yearling.

Admittedly, you found an action which had been poorly set-up  for the
UC, and maybe even not properly located. Or maybe someone in the case
department happened to grab a keyblock from the "D" bin, for this B.
But now that you find yourself in a position to set it up, just how
would you like to do it. More to the point, what would Abbey like
which he may (or may not be) getting from the other B.

I also wouldn't be shy about asking the dealer to have first crack,
as long as you could be there while the work is done. Or, says the
piano tech, "at least, if I was doing it, that's how I would do it."

You'll also get some great music out of him.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."
     ...........Ancient Chinese Proverb