Pinblock Drilling Centering

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:22:01 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/2002 5:05:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> I've heard plenty of good things about pin driving fluid, but haven't tried
>
> it. I drill the block in the piano, and haven't been able to picture a
> method of getting the varnish into the block without spending half a day,
> getting it all over the plate and bushings, or both. If you get away with
> drilling Delignit that far undersize, with one pass, and get a good uniform
>
> pin torque that doesn't twist the pins off, it's probably because of the
> varnish. So tell me, how do you get the varnish in the block without
> getting it all over the plate? Maybe I'm just neatness challenged.
>
> Ron N

            My recent driving fluid experiment were on pieces of block out of
the piano and have yet to do it in the actual process. I've got the messy
thing too but from what friends have said is they swab a couple rows of pins
at a time, string ,swab more holes. It doesn't take a flood of solution to
make this work. You can even dip the pin in the varnish, let it drip off then
drive it in I would think. Probably easier said than done but One other
technique was to cut a slot in a hammer shank and insert a piece of key
bushing cloth  wider than the shank but smaller than the hole, dip it in the
solution, then spin the device in the hole. You know I bet Joe Garrett has
some fancy fangled trick, he's a neat freak guy ,right Joe? How about a hypo
oiler. Put some drops around the top of the hole then use something to swab
   So As I now understand it for a no. 2 pin fit in delignit, you bore with
drill sizes that are only a couple thous. different so the final reaming
isn't going to change the accuracy of the first hole drilled it's just
cleaning it up.
      Dale E.