Pinblock Drilling Centering

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:25:47 EDT

In a message dated 25/10/02 11:04:04 AM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

<< I've used a hammer shank for swabbing.  Dip it in the fluid, let it run
off and swab the inside of the hole.  You don't really need that much.
Swabbing the upper end of the hole is enough and let the pin drag the fluid
down with it.  You don't want it running out the bottom.  If you dip the pin
and are using plate bushings, the stuff will get all over the place.

David Love >>

 The best way I have found is to take a 'spinet' hammer shank ..........CA a
round punching made from key bushing cloth to the end....be sure to make the
punching a size that will just fit into the pinblock dry without have to
really push on it........ dip the hammer shank mit der punching into your
favorite fluid and swab the hole........just far enough into the fluid to
barely cover the punching is sufficient (if you are having puddling/dripping
problems you are using to much fluid) Swab as many holes as you will pin in
the next several hours cause if you don't you negate the facility of using
the driving fluid..........be sure and cover the keybed with newspaper to
catch any wayward drips:) (Don't ask)
 If you are pinning a plate with bushings apply the fluid 'before' you insert
the bushings...walla ...no mess :-)
 The pins will be snug, but seemingly loose, to the feel for a few days but
will settle down/increase to a very good tuning torque in a few
 This procedure works extremely well on a non-rock, a.k.a.
delignit/falconwood,etc., block...I've never tried it on the rocks:)
 I drill a .250 hole, single pass, using a new drill bit for every block and
2/0 by 2 3/8 or 1/2 pins....works for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)