Soundboard Panel Grain Angle

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:33:47 EDT

Terry writes:
>Conventional wisdom suggests quarter-sawn spruce for soundboard panels.
 <snip>
>And perhaps more importantly, WHY? What difference does it make? Why might
>it make a difference? Is it because the panel will lay better? Because
>it looks better? Is it just so one manufacturer can claim "ours is better
>than theirs"? Because sound can "reflect" through some angles better than
>others - maybe a 45 degree grain angle refracts all the sound into outer
>space?

Greetings,
   There are acoustic reasons for quarter sawn wood being used.  Sound
transmission is much better with the grain than across it, (something on the
order of 3 times faster,too?)  I believe this is because there is a loss of
acoustical energy every time there is a change from one medium to the next,
and going across the grain requires the energy to go from one density of wood
to another with every "ring line", effectively losing energy at every step.
Harder material transmits the sound faster, too, so the harder grain
transmits the sound better and faster than the softer "summer" wood.
    The more truly quarter sawn it is, the more contact there will be between
the harder grain and the bridge.  There is a reason that the best sounding
boards have the bridges directly connected to the ribs, since the ribs
transmit the energy to the entire board with greater efficiency than if all
the energy had to spread across the grain from the bridge. (Del, Ron??? if I
am sinking into a quagmire here, be gentle as you yank the rescue ropes!)
   Stability may also be a question, as the quarter sawn wood is more stable,
and doesn't "shelve".  That is one of the  only two questions I missed on the
written exam, when it asked "why" was quarter-sawn wood traditionally used
for soundboards? The correct answer was supposed to be because it was more
stable, but I still think the answer should be the acoustic sound, not the
stability, since the piano was developed in an era in which summer and winter
didn't offer that much change in humidity as today.  Quarter sawn wood is
used in the tops of fine guitars, violins, and hurdy-gurdys for acoustical
reasons, (as well as the front and back of organ pipes).
   (the other question was to do with papering flanges, I was thinking
Steinway,which can be papered differently than flat flanges).
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT