resource management

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:26:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 25, 2002 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: resource management

> That's unique. The part of the repetition levers covered by the knuckles
is
> LIGHTER in color than the rest of the action. Ah well, soundboards don't
> age, why should actions? Was that smoke, or custom finishing? Was there
> maybe a 6mm layer of black fluff on top of the braces?
>
> Now, please excuse me while I go rinse out my photo viewer.
>
> Ron N

The piano had come from the Pittsburgh, PA area. I assumed that the
discoloration was simply the industrial pollution that had not been removed
by human lungs.

The soundboard was, thankfully, original. Dirty, but otherwise intact and
cleaned up rather well. (Keeping in mind this was all thirty-some years
ago.) Good thing. She had spent her budget having the action 'rebuilt.'

This was my initiation into grand action design. Needless to say in the 70s
direct replacement action parts were unavailable. I ended up making new
action rails and fitting off-the-shelf Renner wippens and shanks. Oh,
yes--and new hammers.

Del