New Steinway -Tight action centers

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:18:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Driscoll
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 12:52 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: New Steinway -Tight action centers

List,

            I'm servicing a Steinway M. " <SNIP>           I found the
hammer shank action centers to be very tight. Two- Three swings only.

Opinions?<SNIP>

            Tom Driscoll RPT

List,

            Thank you for your suggestions. Certainly there are varied
opinions on the best course of action, but a common thread seems to
point to a somewhat unevenness in the centers after alc-water treatment.
With two visits necessary for application and final adjustments, It
occurs to me that reaming and repining in one visit may result in  more
consistantancy in essentially the same time. I have the Don M. reamers
and can move right along once the correct reamer- center pin combination
is established.

            Also, I have not bought methanol in some time --- used to
get in the Pharmacy but heard it was no longer available there.
Suggestions on where to purchase? I assume 50% mix of alc- water is
correct.

            I had an old timer suggest Vodka if methanol is unavailable.
Looks a little funny when you carry a vodka bottle in from the car
though!.Comments welcome.

            Sincerely,

            Tom Driscoll   R.P.T. (registered procrastinating tuneboy)

(