Methanol

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:49:28 +0100

Hello Joe,

I am always surprised of the use of common words for chemical
products.

What you call shellac thinner is here (in France) alcohol for French
polishing, we find it as 95% 96% , even 98% alcohol. I am not at all
sure of it to be Methanol, or Ethanol, or what kind of alcohol is used
for that purpose (I guess Ethanol probably)

The pure 96% Methanol I bought, does not smell at all the same than
the Shellac thinner, while it will very probably do the same thing, as
it works mechanically .

As an anti freeze I bet it is the good product if one can be sure it
is pure.
But probably it is mixed with products to avoid it to be drink (as
ordinary alcohol is in France) products : more residues (some residues
remains too after pure methanol treatment, in fact that is the
quantity of dry residue that is considered to know the purity of these
products in chemistry products).
Are these residues dangerous for the bushing texture, I don't know, so
I am expecting only there.

Was not you that tell about the use of a very few shaves of soap in
the mix (may be to lighten the lanolin in the bushing) ?

I believe that in many German factories the pinning is treated with a
alcohol (+ water ?) mix when first inserted, and that mean another
application should be excessive may be.
And that would be why the results are then uneven.

I make a great use of CLP, but mostly in the field and to allow pieces
to have a little more freeness for some time. I don't expect it to
hold really long (but I am supposed to be there to tune the piano
someday)

I've find that strangely plastic (PVC) flanges are subject to slow
pinning as wooden ones, and when it is the case they are worse
generally (Kaway)

Schimmel considered the use of Ballistol in a book he write 15 or 20
years ago. I recently hear that they agree with the use of WD40
actually.

I consider the use of oils to be a mess in the bushings, my reamers
don't like it at all, and no consistency in pinning is possible when
re pinning then.

Changing totally the bushings is not that hard, but at this moment new
parts seem more advisable.

Are you yet using those un nickel center pins generally, or do the
trade use know the nickel plated ones ? (I mean on the S&S from N.Y.
i.e.)

The Best Sunday !

Regards.

Isaac OLEG