ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:11:55 -0700

>It's not only difficult to give up these benefits, the bigger question
>might be is it really fair to the customer to insist on tuning aurally
>when you could deliver just as good (perhaps better) of a tuning and more
>in the same amount of time and, presumably then, for the same price?
>
>For me, the answer seems obvious.
>
>David Love

I guess I'm in an exceptional situation, because I don't have to tune 4
or 5 pianos a day to make what I need to make; I can tune 2 or 3, plus do
some voicing or regulation, and be fine.  Many of my clients are
professionals, or serious amateurs, or venues, and most are long-term
clients; they trust me, and they know that when I come it's going to cost
them a tuning plus another half-hour to hour of time.  Their pianos sound
and feel better than they did before they knew me----in some cases,
monumentally better---and I  treat them with kindness and friendship, so
it's no problem.

If I was in a situation----basically, living outside of a major urban
area---where I had to tune 5 pianos a day, every day, i don't think
there's any doubt I would be an ETD user.

That said, I tune aurally because I love it; it's one of my real gifts; I
have to be relatively happy and content in the work, or else what's the
use?
Selfish and arrogant or healthy and strong-minded?  You make the

David A.