Jorgensen's Improved EBVT

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:57:01 -0600

Dear Friends,

This morning I tuned a piano using Jorgensen's Improved Equal Beating
Victorian Temperament.  You can see the graph on Jason Kanter's web page at
http://www.rollingball.com/EBVT19.htm .

The piano had a nice amount of contrast between the different keys without
being too extreme.  I will definitely use this tuning again in the future.

Compared to the EBVT designed by John Formsma (at
http://www.rollingball.com/EBVT18.htm ) there is a greater amount of
contrast in the Jorgensen EBVT, and the Jorgensen EBVT is also just a
little bit stronger than the Formsma EBVT.  (But neither of these
temperaments has enough purity in the near keys to suit me.)

I spent about 30 minutes playing a bunch of songs and scales and chords to
listen to the piano, and I was very pleased with the sound.  The contrast
between the keys followed the circle of fifths quite well, with more
contrast at the opposite end of the circle of fifths.

I had the pleasure of hearing a talented young musician play Chopin's
Nocturne, Op. 9, No. 2.  Also got to hear Butterfly, Op.43, No.1 by
Grieg.  I honestly believe that if I had tuned in Equal Temperament, that
the music wouldn't have sounded so good.

If anyone else regularly tunes any of the EBVT's, why not post it to the
list to share your experiences?

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO