Capstan Location

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:04:33 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> What might be the consequences from having separate capstan lines for naturals and sharps to compensate for a global key ratio difference between sharps and naturals (assume small differences that do not require relocation of wippen heel)?
>
> Terry Farrell

Within limits I cant see any major problems here. Heck John Delacour even made a good case for putting balance rail pins all on the same line.. which to be sure takes the key ratio puzzle off in a differnt direction but illustrates what you
can get away with if you want to. I seem to remember there was a good deal written about exactly this subject of seperate capstan lines for sharps and naturals about a year ago. Might be a good idea to chug through the archives a bit and see
what you can dig up. Seem to remember it being pointed out that a straight line is most common because its easy to compensate for less whippen travel by increasing key height and dip. Weight differences caused were always dealt with directly
by adjusting FWs. There is also the matter of the so called "magic line".

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.