Action Ratio Measurement Accuracy

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:53:21 +0100

IMHO

The Stanwood is the best for key to key ratio analysys. Problem is that it will show you exactly what the ratio is for each and every key....including any and all small ratio problems. As Ron Overs site states..... it doesnt take much of an angle in knuckle placement to make a big difference in the resulting ratio. You need a lot of samples to get an average that you can reasonably assume is close to the true Ratio.

I like to use what you call the Manual Action Ratio to get a basic view of what the design was meant to be. I personally use 5 mm key movement and I use a block under the key to insure that.  I always get more consistant results using several samples.

I could never get consistant results with measureing distances needed using Rons Overs method or the similiar one found in various other places. Probably a personality fault :) Tho conceptually this should give you the same kind of general ratio information as your "MAR".

The weight ratio is good for diagnostics key to key.. the other is usefull as a constant in certain situations.

RicB

Where's Bill and Jon anyways :) ?

Cheers!