Hammer Replacement Sheet/Isaac's Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:01:50 -0800

I believe Isaac read it wrong, as there is no line with "Degree of
Horizontal" angle. There is a line, "Degree of Vertical Pitch". This is the
angle, looking from the side view of the hammer/shank, where the drill angle
is less/more than 90degrees. In other words, if this is an Upright hammer
and you want it to angle down, let's say, 2 degrees, then the figure in that
line would be 2 degrees.
I should say that the "caricatures" of the hammers, are usually numbered #1,
(first figure on the left), then the second figure would be the last in that
section. The next figure would have the beginning of the next note number of
the next section. As most Uprights only have three sections, the last,
titled Upper Treble would not be used. Below those figures are written the
angle of the section. In the bass the angle, is most generally, the same
from #1 to #30, as an example. The Tenor Section would start at #30, as an
example, with an opposite angle given that would decrease to the last figure
in that section. As an example: #31 - 12 degrees and note #59 - 0 degrees.
Therefore, that section would graduate the angle from 12 degrees to Zero
degrees. Given the number of hammers in the section, we can calculate when
to change the angle as we bore. This, I do, in Half Degrees, so that the
hammers will better match the angle of the strings. The rest is pretty much
self-explanatory. I should add that "Walnut Mouldings" are generally not
available. When I run out of the pile of these I have, I will change that to
Sapele, (or whatever). As I get 99% of my hammers from Ronsen, I know that
he offers Birch, Silver Maple & Sapele. So, I need to redo the form, in that
respect.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)