Patent Notice

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:30:24 -0800

No plans for anything "rash".  When one purchases the Stanwood platform for
taking measurements (which I have), the equation of balance is given along
with a description of its use.  Is that just for staring at with admiration?
Or, having purchased the materials, are we not entitled to use them?

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike and Jane Spalding" <mjbkspal@execpc.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 29, 2002 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: Patent Notice

David,

If you read his patent, you will see that he did successfully claim a lot of
basic mechanics, statistics, and arithmetic.  Like any well-written patent,
it makes the whole process seem more complicated than it needs to be, and
makes the prior art (how the rest of the world used to do it) appear to be
trapped in the dark ages.   Of course, the burden is on Mr. Stanwood to
enforce his patent, i.e. in order to stop you, he has to sue and win.  If
during the lawsuit you could come up with documentation that anyone was
doing what you wish to do, prior to the date of his patent application in
April '94, he would lose.

Some thoughts in support of Mr. Stanwood:  After the fact, most inventions
and patents look obvious.  We forget that, in most cases, no-one ever looked
at it that way before the patent.   We forget that during the development of
most innovations, the overwhelming reaction to the invention was "we've
never done it that way, we don't need to improve on what we've got, you're
wasting your time".   As relative newcomer to this field, I have no personal
knowledge if this is actually true of Stanwood's method, but the odds are
that most of it applies.

Consult a real attorney before doing anything rash.

Mike Spalding, RPT