Nasty Virus on the loose

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:49:23 +0100

I just got in a note on my broadpark account that I thought
you should all be aware of.

It was from

owner-pianotech-digest@toast.net
subject: Pianotech Digest V2002 # 1329
from Don - DampChaser question

It contained the bugbear virus, and my mail checker and
Norton caught it.

Obviously this was not a mail sent to me by Don. Equally
obviously the author of this has too many bricks in the
right place for me to think we are still in the random email
address / subject matter arena. Everyone here knows that our
friend Don is a DampChaser enthusiast and has built up quite
a knowledge base about humidity problems.  This seems just
too much of a consequence to my mind of thinking.

In anycase... be doubly sure of emails, start using server
mailcheckers, a good and up to date virus program, and a
firewall if you havent already. And erase your address book,
or save it in a text file that isnt easy for virus's or
trojans to locate.

I usally end with Cheers!.... but... not much cheery about
this.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.