Who to blame the vius on

David and Julie Streit DJ_Streit@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:34:59 -0800

Gentlemen, I am going to cut and paste information here so you can know
where to place the blame.

"The worm mails itself to email addresses in the Windows Address Book, and
to addresses extracted from files on the victim's machine. It arrives in an
email message whose subject and body is composed from a pool of strings
carried within the virus (the virus can also add other strings obtained from
the local machine). "

"Thanks to the use of the exploit described above, simply opening or
previewing the message in a vulnerable mail client can result in an
infection of the victim's machine. "

"Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm. It's very dangerous by
corrupting your files. Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus
technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.We developed this
free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus. You only need to run this
tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC."

* I think this last one was a testimonial from someone who got the virus.
The grammar isn't quite right.

This information was found at
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99455

Yes...I got a virus too, yes...I was mad at who "I thought" sent it.  It
turn out that this person (my sister) has not even had a computer for the
last 6 months!  Go figure...  The virus took the information from my own
computer and tried to place the blame on her, so I have no idea where it
came from.  I have checked several times with several different programs and
I am clean now...Thank God!  I couldn't even send an e-mail for a while
because my server would reject everything from me.  I have good virus
protection now.

What does it all mean?  It means slow down and do some research before you
name names and place blame publicly.  Remember, it's the virus designers who
are to blame, not your friends and colleagues.

Dave Streit, RPT
Portland, OR