Fw: Patent Notice

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:31:30 -0800

Bill:

Thanks for your comments.  Just a comment briefly, I wasn't trying to
suggest that high strike weights were a necessary part of the design, just
what I observe as a preference.  Though each installer, as you mentioned,
can presumably request that designs follow their own specifications, it is
my assumption, from limited observation, that Stanwood installers are
following his design preferences.  I could well be wrong about that.

It seems reasonable to assume that the past use of assist springs did not
approach the current applications of smoothing balance weights.  However, it
is seems not unreasonable to assume that they were used to help create lower
inertia actions.  Limiting the use of the springs to carry only the weight
of the wippen is, I think, not a bad idea.  Though I have no research to
back my intuition in this, I am inclined to think that anything that causes
separation of the wippen from the key can't be a good thing.  This idea
seems to be loosely supported by the number of people who gasped at the
thought of my changing an old Bechstein rocker arm action to a more modern
capstan system.  The consensus seemed to be that the old system performed
better.  If it does, then it seems that the connection to the key is key, as
it were.  With respect to the wippen-key connection, the assist spring's
function is exactly opposite.

Following the action design discussions for the past few years along with
individuals' expressed concerns, I observe that inertia has become sort of a
dirty word--something to be avoided or minimized at all costs.  There is no
question that when encountering action after action that throws 6-7 leads in
each key to compensate for a mismatch of strike weights to action ratios
that this needed to become a area of focus and David Stanwood should be
credited with making this part of the everyday dialogue.  But now that we
have turned our focus that way and explored the lower limits, I am finding
that the actions that are appealing to me and to my customers are measuring,
not surprisingly, somewhere in the middle: not enough to fight you, but
enough that you can easily feel what is going on out at the end of the
system of levers.  While new protocols for creating eveness through the
action are always welcome, it seems quite possible that jumping through
hoops to lower inertia can be counterproductive.

What I am beginning to think is that the original designs with slightly
higher action ratios (6.0 - 6.1) delivered something that the more modern
trend of 5.5 or lower cannot, that there is something inherent in the
relationship between key and hammer movement that is critical in imparting a
sense of control.  While this necessitates relatively low strike weights (by
today's standards), I am more and more inclined to think that this dilemma
represents the Sophie's choice of action design.

David Love

ite  that or the things I mentioned (assist springs,