pin tightener

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:01:43 EST

In a message dated 10/31/02 9:26:59 AM Central Standard Time,
invader@northlink.com writes:

> Can someone tell me if it's OK to use pin tightener? I have already tapped
> the pins as far as they will go. She does not want to put out the $ for a
> pin block. Thank you
>        Dan

Sure, you can use pin tightener. What have you got to loose? But be sure to
tell your customer that spending the money to do this is a waste of money. If
the strings have been tapped down to the plate, and they still don't hold,
there is obviously a problem here.

But there are a couple of other options besides replacing the pin block.
1. Replace the pins with larger ones. This won't fix the pin block problem,
but it will give the piano a couple of more months, maybe a year or two, of
life, before the pins start slipping again.
2. Use CA glue. Shore up the bottom of the pin block, and squirt some CA glue
next to the pin. That might be enough to hold the pin for a while.
3. Use impact resin. Again, shore up the effected section of the pin block.
Remove the pins, and clean out the holes. Fill the holes half way with impact
resin, and drive in 2/0 pins. Let that sit for 2 or 3 days. Remove the pins,
and drive in 3/0 pins. They will be very tight, and you've fixed the cracks
in the pin block. I've done this repair on small sections, as well as a whole
piano, and it was very successful.

Good luck

Wim