Spelling

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:44:54 -0800

Wim, Alan, et al,

Sorry 'bout my misspellin' of the word wippen.  Them whippings is shour
hard to spel.  So is the strikers and the pads and, by Gosh, they ain't
werken so wel neither. .
     Actually,  I believe either form is acceptable.  I am not sure of
the origin of the word wippen but the aspirated form, pronounced hwipen
with the aspirated w, should have the spelling that one frequently finds
for this phonological variant and that is the one that is use; this is
the more Anglicized whippen.  So, we have two forms in use.  Obviously,
the differing pronounciations lead to the spelling variants.  I have
often thought we need an English analagoue of the Academie Francais to
help standard and upgrade the language, perhaps.
Regards, Robin Hufford