Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 00:43:02 EDT

Kevin,

In the past fifteen years since I started tuning duplex scales I have heard a
number of outstanding and upstanding technicians offer solutions to tone
problems by attempting to negate or obviate the duplex scale components. In
the past few years so many great instruments have been put on the market such
as the Faziioli and the new Mason and Hamlin with duplex scale innovations
that i am disappointed that technicians continue to disrespect the feature.
Steinway made it clear in his patent and in his pianos that this feature
contributed a critical component to the singing tone of the piano. And dozens
of manufacturers have utilized his ideas in their own characteristic way to
improve the tone of their instruments. Before putting masking tape and felt
mutes on a piano you may find it illuminating to tune at least one duplex
scale properly and compare the tone pre tuning to post tuning of the duplex
scale. I believe you will find that tuning the duplex scale enhances the
purity of the tone quality and dramatically lengthens the sustain.

Respectfully,

Dan Franklin