hernia!?

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 06:39:29 -0400

Scott Jackson asked:

> Just how tight are Baldwin pins? It seems there are often comments
> about them, but I have never seen one. Are they worse than Samick?

Scott, on this side of the pond, Samicks closely resemble Yamaha as far as
pin torque...at least this has been my experience anyway.

(Conrad, oh Conrad??)

I cut my eye teeth in this business on Baldwins, and they historically have
very tight pins..averaging over 150lbs torque. I never really complained
about them as I was learning until I ran across one that was sotight, I
thought I was going to break my tip, the tuning pin, my wrist, or all of the
above. Unfortunately, this piano is in a night club that needs regular
tunings, and of course, it's not getting them.

Baldwins have tight pins Scott.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com