Steinway vs. The Tuner, Round One (Long)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:46:23 -0500

At 07:56 PM 9/12/02, Alan Barnard wrote:

>Tuned an "L" .... piano today and got thinking while =
>wrestling with it. Pinblock quite tight (somewhat jumpy pins), string =
>movement resistance quite high, and the collarless pins VERY sensitive =
>to pressure in any direction--up pitch, down pitch, flagpoling, =
>whatever.

Hi Alan, belated welcome to the list.  I live in the Ozarks also, so maybe
we will meet in person sooner or later.  Steinway pianos take a different
approach to tuning.

I have some questions for you:

How old is the piano?  Brand new?  A few years old? Older?  New Steinways
are easier to tune than older Steinways.

Is there any rust on the strings?  If there is rust on the strings, it can
cause problems with the string rendering through the agraffe.  Also, the
rust on the strings can catch on the fibers of the understring cloth
between the tuning pin and agraffe.  If there is rust, it is helpful to
lubricate the strings with Protek to allow the strings to move across the
cloth and through the agraffe.

Use a good quality brush with natural fibers (no nylon bristles) to brush
all the dust away from the understring cloth.  Vacuum all the dust and
debris from around the tuning pins and strings.  Then, use a hypo oiler to
apply a few drops of Protek along each string where it crosses the
understring cloth.  Then one very small drop of Protek at each point where
the string goes through the hole in the agraffe, and also where the string
crosses under the capo bar.

Did you do a pitch correction while tuning?  If so, how much pitch
change?  A pitch change of more than 4 cents requires a separate tuning
pass to do the fine tuning.  Do the pitch correction very quickly (10 or 20
minutes max... Don't worry, you will get that fast with practice), then
follow-up with a fine tuning.

Do you tune aurally, or with a tuning device?  I ask this, because I have a
few "beast" pianos that were terrible to tune aurally for me, because of
the frustration of the pitch drop when trying to fine tune.  When I use the
tuning device to assist, I can see (as well as hear) the string movement,
and it is easier for me to tune these "beasts".  I actually wrote a letter
about several of these pianos that I called "untunable" because of similar
problems as you describe.  After 4 or 5 years of experience tuning these
same pianos, they are still "beasts", but do hold a nice tuning.  It just
takes more time.  Whenever I tune one of these pianos, I can expect to add
an extra 1/'2 hour to hour to the tuning time.  If I don't take the time to
work with the piano, the tuning isn't as good.  Many people probably tune
much faster than me, and that is okay.  I just take the time I need to do a
nice tuning.

How much experience do you have tuning?  How many pianos have you
tuned?  With more experience, and with more tunings completed, You will
learn what you have to do to get the piano to behave.  Tune as many pianos
as you can, and improve upon each tuning.

When you have the tuning lever on the tuning pin, which direction does the
handle of the tuning lever point in relation to the string you are
tuning?  90 degrees to the string?  Parallel to the string?  Be careful to
move the tuning lever in a plane parallel to the string.  If you bend the
tuning pin, it can "flagpole", as you have probably already
discovered.  You can carefully "spring" the tuning pin into place and it
will hold.  But if you bend the pin, it will "flagpole" and go back out of
tune.

>I find many notes very hard to pull in for sweet unisons.

If the piano has a lot of wear on the hammers (deep grooves and flat spots
on the crown), the tuning won't sound as good compared to a piano with nice
hammers.  You may be hearing a lot of hammer noise (unlevel strings,
hammers that aren't "mated" to the strings, etc.)  Also, if the hammers are
very hard with a bright sound, it is harder to get a sweet sound.

If this is an old piano, and the agraffes and capo bar have a lot of string
wear (grooves), it can be hard to tune clean unisons.  Also, if the piano
has not been tuned in a long time, the wire may have developed bends
(around the bridge pins, under the capo bar, and through the agraffes) that
resist your attempts to move the string to a new position.  The strings
also may have developed flat spots, and it can be difficult to get the
string to move through the agraffe because of this.

If the bridge pins are loose, or if the bridge surface has grooves, clean
unisons are more difficult to tune.

Also, in the high treble, you may be hearing a lot of noise from the rear
duplex section (the aliquots) where the strings are unmuted.  It is helpful
to mute off this section of the piano while tuning, and you will find that
a lot of the false beats that you hear will go away.  Don Manino made some
bean bags that are very good for muting off the duplex area.

>I was =
>personally taught by Randy Potter how to tune stable strings & pins but =
>found that moving the pin in teeny notches is very hard--too high, too =
>low, too high ...

After you get the tuning pin close to the pitch you want, use steady
pressure on the tuning lever.  You can "massage" the string into tune.  I
have found that with old Steinway grands with rust on the strings, I almost
always have to approach the pitch from below.  If you try to approach pitch
from above, you will find that the string suddenly goes very flat.  At
first, move the tuning pin close to pitch using very small movements of the
tuning lever.  But once  you are close, use a steady push on the tuning
lever to get the final movement of the tuning pin.

>If I got it just a hair over pitch and tried to settle everything with =
>back pressure on the hammer, it dropped way too much.

Approach the pitch from below.

>Finally, with time =
>running out and getting a little desperate, I started dropping pitch =
>(about a 45 degree turn of the hammer)

That is a LOT of tuning pin movement!  But I can relate to your
frustration.  Next time allow more time.  Try to make very small
movements.  Large movements make a stable tuning more difficult.

>  and tuning "from the bottom" with =
>a smooth steady pull while wanging the string pretty hard.

YES!  Very firm blows with the hammer.  When you start breaking strings and
action parts, back off on your test blow a little bit!  Tune from the bottom.

>Most of the =
>time I could stop right on pitch --even on strings I had spent WAY too =
>long trying to tune the "normal" way.
>
>But I worry about how stable they are as I could not "set" the pin in =
>the usual way.

Call the customer a few days or week later to ask how they liked the
tuning, and if there are any problems.  It may be just fine to them.  If
they have any problems, take care of them and they will be happy.

>Is this pretty typical Steinway?

Yes, I find this pretty typical.  But, the tight tuning pins?  Not so typical.

>What about stability in these circumstances?

See if you can visit the piano in a week or two and play it.  You can see
for yourself if it is a stable tuning.

>What hammer techniques do y'all use on the beasts?

There is a good book on tuning lever technique by someone on list.  (Can't
remember the name right now.)  Help me out here, people!

>NOTE: While tuning, I was rehearsing a pretty negative inner dialog =
>about Steinway and all of their "genuine Steinway parts;" thinking how =
>expensive they are and how much they look like every other piano, etc. =

Do what you can to get rid of the negative thoughts.  I can't do a good
tuning if I am thinking bad about the piano, or the customer or
whatever.  Bad thoughts = bad tuning.

>BUT after I tuned it, I played it. Even for a small piano, what a =
>beautiful, sweet sound. Oh, the subtleties ...=20

That is the best part of tuning... getting to play on a freshly tuned piano!

Alan, welcome to the list.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO

P.S.  I welcome any constructive criticism about this post.  Please let me
know if I am way off base here.