Imbalance

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 07:00:06 EDT

Greetings,

    After viewing Mr. Bremmer's website, I wrote

SidewaysWell  writes:
>Here again is the big lie, Ed Foote wrote, knowing that it was not true
>and for one purpose alone, to make himself the HT guru and to discredit the
>way I've been successfully tuning pianos for 10 years:

    The cent figures of the ebvt came from the author's website.  They were
posted as a technical description of his creation and were listed to the
tenth of a cent(though,in truth, the E-G# was listed as 19.46, which is even
a worse imbalance).  They describe an atypical temperament and as soon as
attention was called to this, a variety of "fudges"  were used in an attempt
to lessen these differences, while a simultaneous personal assault was
mounted.
    To this I say, Either stand behind the numbers you publish  or change
them to reflect your practises. It is comical (as well as intentionally
libelous), to hear the screams of "Lie" being used in an attempt to deflect
critique of the information published by yourself.  Either you unknowingly
published bogus information or published an atypical temperament.  You can't
have it both ways.
      As surreal a concept as it may be, make up your mind.

   Whereas Mr. Bremmer is fixated on a supposed "lie" on my part:
>>Ed Foote pulled figures from two different analyses, specifically to
support
>>the lie he knew he was telling.

   It is not only the numbers,  it is the artifact, itself.  Following the
published directions for creating this ebvt usually makes the key of E equal
to the most highly tempered keys in the scale, (which are all approx. the
same).  This is interesting and novel, but not necessarily authentic.  My
original post calling attention only to the lack of precedent was enough to
send the temperament's author into spasm's of rage, and the ensuing vitrolic
screed has surprised no one.

     However, methinks he doth protest too much, and the "ebvt" is still,
imo, a non-representative tuning of the Victorian era; indeed, he has
recently described it:
" the Equal Beating effect causes harmonies played at the top of the cycle of
5ths to sound far closer to pure than they really are.  No other historically
documented or modern temperament has this feature
by design."
    Hard to claim historical precdedent and unique qualities in the same
thing.  You can't have it both ways.

   Indeed, Mr. Bremmer attempts to take refuge in the variable nature of his
tuning, stating what happens "sometimes" as a defense against being held
accountable for his published figures.  Taking advantage of a lattitude that
he has always denied the ET tuners, he immediately states that those figures
are NOT what his tuning is.  However, what his tuning is is not yet clearly
defined.  As said by a previous poster,  it seems it is more of a system than
a temperament.
    After years of condemnation of virtually all tuners for the imprecision
of 1 cent or less, (creating the much dreaded "Reverse Well"  for which
Bremmer has been castigating the trade), it is contradictory to suddenly
accept a greater degree of lattitude in order to ameliorate the inbalances
found in his home-made temperament.  Live by the cent, die by the cent......

>In the past few days, I took Direct Interval measurements of several ordinary
>pianos that I tuned.  Ed Foote is on record as calling all of these "JUNK".

  Mr. Bremmer is being very liberal with putting words in other people's
mouths.  I don't remember using the word "junk" to describe a P-22, Knabe
console, or any of the others listed.  So, either show where  on the record I
am using "all" and "junk" to describe the pianos listed or cease such
untruths and misquotes.

>Ed Foote says he tried to tune the EBVT both aurally and electronically.
> If he got the results he claims he got trying to tune the EBVT, how accurate
>can  his tunings be where he just copied numbers out of books?  Or did he
just
> plain LIE about it?

  I didn't try, I did it.  It is not rocket science.  It is a simple
procedure to tune the ebvt according to the aural  directions(assuming that
they have not been changed in the last 48 hours). Any capable tuner, (and I
am officially one of those) can create 6 bps third, match that speed with
others, and tune Just fifths.

>I don't believe or trust a thing Ed Foote says and never will.

   That is not a problem.  However, a demonstrable pattern of continued
insinuations of incompetance and fabrications,  when judged on their ethical
content, is.  It does our trade, and our Guild, no good whatsoever to allow
such negative ill-will and baseless derogatory allegations as have been
openly made to continue.   Such public response to critique reflects poorly
on all of us.   We have an ethics committee, I pay my dues, and I intend ask
that they review the recent thread to determine what appears to be obvious
violations of the code of ethics #1 (I will act honorably and professionally)
by Mr. Bremmer.
Ed Foote RPT