Soundboard Panel Gluing

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:40:34 EDT

In a message dated 09/14/2002 3:21:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I am trying to decide whether to make my own panels (I would definitely
like
> to make my own) or purchase them already glued up and thicknessed.

Hello Terry,

I can think of four reasons to do something like this:
  1. to gain greater understanding of a basic process
  2. personal satisfaction at having done more of the process
  3. to gain greater control over the result
  4. to save money

In this case, one yes, one probably, one maybe, one no. I have never balked
at doing something CLEARLY impractical that I just wanted to do for other
reasons, like learning a basic skill or doing something better than the
supplier could. We made a set of ornately carved legs & lyre for a Steinway
D, totally lost our shirts, and enjoyed every minute.

Looking at this particular process (the sbd panel) from another angle,
though, there are others who are tooled up to do it better, cheaper, more
quickly, and just possibly more reliably than you could. This is not an easy
glue-up. What is your gain/risk ratio?

If this is about going back to the beginning of a process, that would require
felling the tree and doing your own drying, milling, and matching. Some
people spin their own bass strings. I figure that for me it would just be an
ego trip, as it would cost me more and provide a result that is inferior to
that provided by someone who spends all day winding.

Then again, Del's building a piano....Never let good sense stand in your way!
Best regards,
Bob Davis