Fw: Temperament LIst, was OT - Florida Update

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:18:39 -0500

Modern version of the Golden Rule:

"Do unto others  ... before they can do unto you; then lie, hide, blame
others, say 'Who, me?' with wide eyes, blame it on the Republicans (or
whomever), and claim, after all, "It was only s*x and that's my private
business."

These next paragraphs are a little OT ("Off Topic," "Old Testament,"
"Outrageous Tirade," or "Ornery Thread") but my previous paragraph suggests
a broader look at society:

Most people used to do what was morally right. Personal honor was incredibly
sacred and taken VERY seriously.

Then many people began to take liberties with morals and honor but would
strive to do what was legal.

Now a disturbing number of people do what they can get away with, i.e., not
get caught at.

Lawyers and politicians (interchangeable beings) seem to lead the downward
movement, followed closely by some union leaders, some big shot execs, and
some clergy (not necessarily in that order).

In a previous life, my brother and I did a $5,000 consulting job for a
big-shot lawyer. It's a long story but he cheated us out of the fee after we
delivered a report he said he was very satisfied with. Later, another member
of his very large law firm admitted to us that he had advised Mr. Big Shot
not to pay us. "Why?" we ask, stunned by his candid admission. "Because I
knew you could never collect." says he. "We could take it to court," says
us. "Go ahead," says he, "we have 230 lawyers here. Take your best shot."

The man we did the consulting for is an owner of a major league baseball
franchise. Every time local political and society types mention his name, it
is with praise for the wonderful things he does for the community. Gag.

Please don't think I am carrying this bitter little pill around with me--I
swallowed it long ago. But it illustrates my thesis.

Thanks for listening.

Alan Barnard