Piano Sound: The Rim

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

Yes Tony, we are on the same thread here, indeed!
    I have long envisioned a soundboard NOT attached
at the rim.  And not of wood, but a very light one of
open cell styrene board ( as in common or modified
insulation panel ) attached to carbon composite ribs
( as in fishing poles, golf clubs, etc. ) of the
proper shape and size to keep the bridges "in place".
In fact, the ribs would be attached directly to the
bridges, on TOP of the soundboard, mitered into
notches in the bridges, with the styrene acting as a
resonant diaphragm. And the styrene might hang at 90
degrees to the floor, not parallel with it. Or be in
layers with spacing, as it is so light that multiple
layers could be used.  Combined with a very rigid rim,
this arangement ought to have terrific sustain. And if
you added screw-stringer  tuning, would almost never
go out of tune due to the otherwise lack of wood.
     I know this sounds a bit obnoxious. I too like
yhe esthetics of wood. But its awfully fun to think
about!
     Gordon Stelter