Upright Touchweight

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:04:59 -0400

Two questions regarding upright touchweight.

First is the damper spring influence on touchweight. Let's say, with dampers lifted off strings and spoons not ever touching damper lever, touchweight is right on target - let's say 50 grams DW across the keyboard and 30 grams UW. Then we release the damper pedal so that dampers are engaging in their normal manner. Assuming some normal amount of friction associated with the damper flange and spoon riding on the damper action cloth (perhaps about 5 grams?), is there a range of resistance (or added DW) that one can expect to encounter in a reasonably well designed and operating damper system? Stated another way, how much additional DW should I expect a well functioning damper to add to touchweight?

Second is key weighting. Is there any Stanwoodesque method at arriving at a calculated target balance weight for an upright key? I can only assume that manufacturers assemble the piano completely and then manually weight off the keys by tradional methods.

Thanks

Terry Farrell