The Definitive Answer To ANY Piano Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:47:34 -0400

I'll bring the worms and an extra pole. Where do we meet?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan R. Barnard" <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 6:40 PM
Subject: The Definitive Answer To ANY Piano Question

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch ran a huge article, today, called "Celebrating the Perfect Instrument." Seems the Mu Phi Epsilon people, and others, are sponsoring concerts (ragtime, classical, jazz ...) and contests and an awards dinner, etc., all in celebration of the piano. The article, in the Arts & Entertainment section front page, above the fold, has an 11" color photo of a S&S D, from above with the lid removed.

Okay. Fine. I'm all for it--especially this line "Although we're a long way from the days when virtually all the children in those [middle class] homes took piano lessons, enrollments are increasing these days, and many teachers have waiting lists for openings in their studios."

But here's the REEEEEALLY GOOD NEWS!!!

"As any parent of a budding string player can testify, there are real advantages to the piano, such as tuning issues: The piano doesn't have any."

So there ya go. What is all this chatter about temperaments, ETDs, inharmonicity, etc? For Heaven's sake, the Post has just declared that pianos have no tuning issues! Let's go fishing!

Alan R. Barnard
Former St. Louisan at Large