Spam

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:01:26 -0600 (MDT)

>I keep getting, as you all do, spam from China with all the
>odd characters in the Subject line.  I am wondering why PTG's
>system can't filter it out?  It is all the same!  When I right
>click on it and try to delete it, it says it needs to download a
>something from Windows.  This locking up my system and I can't
>delete it.  Yes I have virus protection...

How are you determining that the SPAM is coming through
PTG's system?  I'm subscribed to pianotech and I have not
seen the SPAM (although I certainly get plenty addressed
directly to me).  So are you sure you're getting it through
a PTG list?  I checked the pianotech archives and did not see
any SPAM messages posted recently.

If you send me the headers on such a message, I might be
able to determine what address was used to send the SPAM
to you (depends on if your ISP updates the headers correctly,
and it is often done wrong).  Remember that the To: and
From: headers in a message can contain anything -- nothing
enforces their correctness.  So that often leads us down
the wrong track when trying to track a message.

I suspect you may be getting SPAM sent to your address and
not through the list, so of course any filtering I do on the
PTG server would not affect it.

-andy